Friday, May 30, 2008

Featured Designer


This month, we are featuring Apiril Kelly of Gem Revolution. Her collection of wire and bead jewelry is intricate and stunning. You can see more of her work at www.gemrevolution.com



Read our interview with April:

Describe in your own words what you create.

I create one of a kind wire wrapped, beaded and macrame jewelry mostly using semi precious gemstones. I hand select my stones and materials. I use sterling silver and 14k gold filled wire and findings.

How long have you been making jewelry?

Since I was about 5 years old. A friend of my family bought me a kit with all sorts of little plastic beads and string and I went to town on it. I really got into it and it just progressed from there. My mom bought me a bead loom and I really got into the Native American style. Then I took some classes and learned different traditional stitches like peyote and brick stitch. I started making intricate woven amulet pouches and just felt very connected to that style which is kinda strange for a preteen/teenager to be drawn to. Just within the last 2 years my mom did some research and found out that we are Native American so I guess now it makes sense why I do what I do.

How do you choose the stones you use?

In february I went to Tucson AZ for the annual rock and gem show which is the largest show in the U.S. It takes over the whole city it is amazing. So I feel really lucky to be able to hand pick the most amazing stones for my jewelry.

What are your favorite stones?

Turquoise, Amber, Watermelon Tourmaline, Druzy Quartz, Opal, Rainbow Obsidian...the list goes on.

Are you involved in anything else artistic?

I am mom to a soon to be 4 year old boy...motherhood I believe is an art form.

No comments: