Thursday, July 3, 2008

Gallery Night is July 25th


Join us Friday July 25th from 6-9pm for a reception for "Stitched, Painted and Put on Display: Drama Rama" work by Leah Kwarciany.


This Southeastern Wisconsin native has won several scholarships and awards for her multi-media work, and has shown in several exhibitons, including the current show in the Schneider Gallery in UW Stevens Point, where she currently studies.



Artist Statement

"My current work is all about combinations. I’ve come to realize after doing a bit of self-reflecting that I find myself and so many other women to be complicated combinations of traditional femininity and abrasive modernity. What I am working through is getting these opposing ideas to visually come together by combining soft, elegant feminine details and ragged heavy-handedness into one entity, because goddamnit I don’t need anything from anybody but would you like some cookies while you’re waiting?"

"I’m very interested in details, contrast and design. I love a good strong line…and also a crazy, unpredictable one now that I think about it. I also really enjoy bright, synthetic, melt-your-retinas color. I enjoy working with mixed media because it allows me to expand my visual ideas into what I like to envision as a jewelry box of colors, patterns, and textures. Organized chaos in primaries and shiny secondaries, if you will."

"Honestly, I’ve got some pretty special artistic relationships going on right now with glittery stuff, overused iconic imagery (that’s right--farm animals and kitchen utensils), bad caricatures and ugly fabrics. Really I just strive to make work that has the charisma of a candy store with neon signs and a dedicated owner."

1 comment:

Faythe Levine said...

looking forward to it ladies!!